MDH Announces Visitor Recommendations Due to Increased Influenza Activity
MACOMB, Ill. – McDonough District Hospital announced recommendations for visitors due to a widespread increase in influenza activity throughout the state and community.
The Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) recommends that health care facilities implement the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC) comprehensive influenza prevention and control recommendations, Prevention Strategies for Seasonal Influenza in Healthcare Settings.
Many counties in Illinois have experienced high levels of influenza-like illness (fever of 100 degrees or higher, plus cough and/or sore throat).
McDonough District Hospital visitor recommendations:
• Visitors under the age of 18 should not visit unless seeking medical care.
• Limit the number of visitors to two per patient at any one time.
• Do not visit if you are ill or have recently been exposed to the flu.
• Hospitalized patients ill with influenza should have only support persons visit. Visitors must follow isolation precautions indicated on room signs.
• Follow respiratory etiquette: Cover your cough/sneeze, put used tissues in waste basket, wash hands or use hand sanitizer frequently.
MDH will follow these guidelines throughout the flu season.